Sunday, February 27, 2011

2nd 100 Days of Scouting: Day 20

Chemistry Merit Badge

20% of any goal is a good start.

If you began the 100 Days of Scouting project on the anniversary of Scouting, today is 20% mark.  One-fifth of the days are done, and it is a good point to reflect.

I've become aware of how routine some of my Scouting has become.  Meeting plans for the Wolf Den, keeping up with the troop, scheduling in my district and council meetings...all good, but some of the shine is wearing off.

I'm not keeping my eye on the ball, keeping it exciting for ME as well as the Scouts.  One of the things I always tell other parents is that Scouting is even more fun as an adult.  And I mean it.

Time to review what I'm doing, and make a commitment to bring a little more fun for me back into the process.  It's good for the boys already, but making it more fun for me will keep it sharper for them.

Today I:
  • Spent a little over an hour going through the first half of the Personal Management merit badge with a Scout.  We should be able to finish this up in one more meeting.
  • Calculated the total miles I drove for Scouting in 2010 for my taxes.  Holy Mackerel!  Just a hair under 6000 miles in my 1992 Dodge 15 passenger van.  No wonder "The Beast" looks like it does!  She's tired!
  • Spent a couple of hours going through Lowe's, Walmart and Tractor Supply getting ideas for things we could do, use or buy for Scouting.  Trailer isn't quite as bad as I'd thought...rabbit hutches...bird feeders...PVC swords...
I'm pleased with where I am, and glad that I can still see the holes that need filling in my efforts.  Comfortable is good...too comfortable isn't.  What holes are in your program, and what are you going to do about it?


No comments: