Friday, February 25, 2011

2nd 100 Days of Scouting: Day 18

Camping Merit Badge

Woke up at 4:30 this AM to hit the gym.  It is quiet and doesn't interfere with my family job Scouting.  Lines are pretty short when you are the only one there.

Which is good--no one wants to see a "Scoutmaster build" running...

So why am I doing this?  Scouting.

Scouting has made me aware on every backpacking and camping trip that I'm not in the shape I should be to do this job.  I hear the "old guys" complain that they don't camp with their troops anymore because they are "too old" to sleep on the ground.  I see the exhaustion in the Scouts faces after 10 miles on the very flat C and O Canal.

Part of my job is to be a role model.  So time to step up to the plate...pushing it away might help, too!

Today I:
  • Earned $5 for the Scouts by converting our bank statements to an electronic version.  (Bank promo.)  Feeling very green in the process, too.
  • Updated the troop and pack YahooGroups with March program information.
  • Worked on my calendar for being a BSA Camp Appraiser.
  • Congratulated another Scouter on taking on the role of District Popcorn Chairman ("Kernel").  I did that for 3 years, and it is a big job.
  • Collected--finally!--all of my markers, crayons, pencils, erasers, scissors and more into a convenient container to use with my Wolf den.
Scouters come in all shapes and sizes...and so is the work they do for Scouting!  Step up and help get the job done...even if you have to work on that "physically strong" part.  What did you make happen for Scouting today?  Post a comment or tweet it to me.

No comments: