Thursday, February 16, 2012

3rd 100 Days of Scouting: Day 9

Day 9

Just take your eye off of the ball for a little while, and what happens?

A granny knot instead a square knot.

I'm kind of exhausted after last night, and keep replaying it in my head.

Scouting became a big struggle for me after the 100 Days ended last spring.  I tried to move on to a couple of other 100 Days projects, but gave it up after a while.

The reality is, that I was doing a lot and not really getting much back from it.  I had just completed my Wood Badge training, and should have been on a high.  But that wasn't the case.  I struggled through summer camp with my Cub Scouts and a few weeks later with my Boy Scouts.  Maybe no one else could tell, but I felt like I was just going through the motions.  At Wood Badge I was asked to be put up for District Commissioner, a job I really felt I could do well--and very ego-satisfying.  It fell through, and I never found out why.  We lost our District Executive and District Chairman in the same timetable, so it was like all the legs of the stool had been knocked away.

My resolve and love of the program haven't faltered.  And burn-out seemed too easy to blame it on.  There was still plenty of work to do.

I didn't feel like I was making a difference.

Last night got me to thinking about that, and the struggle I'm having still.  But I was able to reach out to a young Scout in need, in his moment of need.

And of course, it is all worth it.

No comments: